Atlantic Container Line
A Grimaldi Group Company
Andrew J. Abbott
The G4 is here! One ship. Endless possibilities.
Cargo capacity includes:
- 14,805m2 for high/heavy RORO decks
- 5,610 m2 for large vehicles in RORO Decks
- 13,400 m2 for cars and SUVs in RORO Decks
- 3,807 TEUs for containers in cells
- 739 TEUs for containers in RORO decks.
ACL Featured Services:
- Weekly RORO Service to and from 8 North American and European Ports
- 5 Weekly Transatlantic Container Services with Direct Calls at 15 ports
- Unique ports, directly serving Göteborg and Liverpool
- 2 UK port choices: Liverpool and Southampton
- Fast connections to Ireland and Scotland
- Best connections to Norway, Finland, Denmark and the Baltic via Göteborg
- Easy access to interior France and Germany via 5 continental ports
- RORO Service from North America to the Middle East, South Africa, Australia and the Far East
ACL is proud to announce that the ATLANTIC STAR, the first of five new vessels in our G4 (Generation 4) fleet, has arrived for transatlantic service. The remaining four, G4 vessels will be delivered during the first half of 2016 and completely replace the existing fleet.
The G4 vessels are the first of its kind vessels and the largest RORO/Containerships (CONRO) ever built. They incorporate an innovative design that increases capacity without significantly changing the dimensions of the vessel. The G4s are bigger, greener and more efficient than their predecessors. The container capacity is more than doubled at 3800 TEUs, plus 28,900 square meters of RORO space and a car capacity of 1300+ vehicles. The RORO ramps are wider and shallower and the RORO decks are higher (up to 7.4 meters) with fewer columns, enabling much easier loading and discharge of oversized cargo. Emissions per TEU are reduced by 65%. The fleet continues to employ cell-guides on deck, a feature that will allow ACL to extend its enviable record: ACL ships have never lost a container over the side during the last 30 years.
The ATLANTIC STAR and its sister vessels will dramatically improve ACL’s competitiveness on the North Atlantic. The G4s demonstrate to our customers that our parent company, the Grimaldi Group, continues to invest for the long term in ACL’s future. ACL has been successful during its 48-year history by doing things differently than all of its competitors. We employ unique ships, go to unique ports and carry cargo that others cannot carry. The new G4 fleet will enhance our cargo carrying capabilities, and combined with Grimaldi’s ever-expanding service network; they will enable ACL to provide even more services as a high quality container and RORO operator for years to come.
Since 1967, ACL has been a specialized transatlantic carrier of containers, project and oversized cargo, heavy equipment and vehicles with the world’s largest combination RORO/Containerships. The company’s headquarters are in Westfield, New Jersey with offices throughout Europe and North America. ACL offers five transatlantic sailings each week and also handles the Grimaldi Lines’ service between the U.S. & West Africa and the Grimaldi EuroMed Service between North America and the Mediterranean. The Company also offers service for non-containerizeable cargo to the Middle East, South Africa, Australia and the Far East. ACL is a Grimaldi Group company.