Trucking Generates $700 Billion
The U.S. trucking industry generated $700.3 billion in economic activity in 2017, a 3.5-percent increase over the $676.2 billion generated in 2016. That's according to the American Trucking Associations' trucking industry data report—ATA American Trucking Trends 2018.
Among the findings in this year's edition:
- Trucks moved 10.77 billion tons of freight, 70.2 percent of all domestic freight tonnage.
- The industry generated $700.1 billion in annual revenue in 2017, 79.3 percent of the nation's freight bill.
- The industry moved 69.1 percent of all trade between the United States and Mexico, and 57.7 percent of Canada-U.S. trade.
- Roughly 7.7 million people were employed in jobs related to trucking activity, including 3.5 million drivers.
- Of those 3.5 million drivers, 1.7 million are heavy haul and tractor-trailer drivers. Minorities account for 40.6 percent of all drivers and 6.2 percent of truck drivers are women.