NOTED: Supply Chain Highlights
Tags: Logistics, March 2023, Partnership, Supply Chain
- Milky Way, a division of LTI, celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2023. The bulk milk transporter serves producers in Oregon, Idaho, and Montana.
- Atlas Air sent a 747-8F aircraft filled with humanitarian and relief supplies from Washington Dulles International Airport to earthquake victims in Turkey and Syria. Atlas Air donated the use of the aircraft and crew and Turkish Airlines collected clothes, medical supplies, and other essentials.
Up the Chain
- ITS Logistics appointed Peter Weis as its chief information officer and senior vice president of supply chain services. Weis brings 20 years of global C-suite IT leadership experience to the company.
- Dayton Freight Lines received the 2022 LTL Carrier of the Year Award from Scotts Miracle-Gro Company. This award recognizes superior performance in on-time service, claims ratio, and responsiveness to Scotts’ capacity needs. (Pictured: Mike Cronin (left), executive vice president and Tom Cronin, CEO and president, Dayton Freight Lines, accept the award.)
- Federal longshore and harbor workers’ compensation insurance provider Signal Mutual awarded APM Terminals its Industry Safety Leadership Award for 2021-2022.
- Avetta’s support center team won a 2022 International Service Excellence Award, presented by the Customer Service Institute of America and the International Council of Customer Service Organizations. The team also was named as a 2022 Service Excellence Up and Comer for improving satisfaction scores and reducing customer wait times.
- Gartner awarded two Power of the Profession Supply Chain Awards to Microsoft for Supply Chain Breakthrough of the Year and Process or Technology Innovation of the Year for its submission titled Real Time Visibility Enabling a Sentient Supply Chain, which detailed how Microsoft transformed its devices supply chain.
- Descartes Systems Group acquired GroundCloud, a cloud-based provider of last-mile solutions and road safety compliance tools.
- To expand its last-mile offerings, PITT OHIO secured a minority stake in Aria Logistics, a nationwide provider of large format residential delivery. Services include curbside, threshold, room of choice, and white glove delivery.
- GEODIS has finalized its acquisition of trans-o-flex, a leading German network for temperature-controlled pharmaceutical goods and express premium delivery. The acquisition boosts GEODIS’s presence in the healthcare market and enhances its delivery capabilities in Europe.
- Overhaul, a provider of supply chain visibility, risk, compliance, and insurance solutions, purchased SensiGuard security services from Sensitech. The acquisition expands Overhaul’s global footprint by adding offices in Brazil, Mexico, and Czech Republic.
- ROI sold Atlas Motor Express, a Boston-area trucking company that specializes in less-than-truckload freight, consolidation, and final-mile deliveries, to Laconia Best Warehousing and Distribution.
- To boost its customs brokerage, clearance, and consulting solutions offerings, EFL Global acquired Trans American Customhouse Brokers.
- Horizon Air Freight purchased Transmarine Navigation Corporation. The acquisition allows Horizon Air Freight to offer port call agency services at Transmarine’s 12 served ports in the Gulf Coast, West Coast, Hawaii, and Argentina.
- Asset-based truckload carrier Big G Express acquired RTR Transportation, a nationwide dry van truckload carrier that offers local cartage, warehousing, cross-dock, trailer rework, and storage trailers. Both companies are based in Tennessee.
- Lufthansa Cargo will equip all its Boeing 777 freighters with AeroSHARK surface film. The technology mimics the microscopic structure of shark skin, which provides fuel efficiencies and reduces emissions.
- US Foods Holding received its first battery-electric powered Freightliner eCascadia trucks at its La Mirada, California distribution center. The food service distributor plans to add a total of 30 electric trucks to its distribution fleet.
- Apotea, an online pharmacy, automated its logistics center with the piece-picking robot eOperator solution, a collaboration among Element Logic, AutoStore, and RightHand Robotics.
- Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants implemented ArrowStream’s food service cloud platform for supply chain intelligence in its network of more than 275 chain operators across 100,000 restaurant locations, 1,300 distribution locations, and 10,000 manufacturers.