SPOTLIGHT | Technology Innovations
Tags: Logistics I.T., Supply Chain, Technology
These innovations connect supply chain stakeholders to enable instant booking, seamless collaboration, and increased visibility.
- J.B. Hunt Transport Services integrated JDA Software’s supply chain management platform with J.B. Hunt 360°, the company’s digital freight-matching platform. This enhancement provides customers with greater pricing visibility and access to available capacity. Combining both platforms’ application programming interfaces also allows customers using JDA Transportation Management to access dynamic quotes, detailed pricing, and real-time rate updates.
- SAS Cargo Group A/S, the cargo and logistics branch of Scandinavian Airlines, launched digital e-booking, live rates, and capacity availability on WebCargo, a platform that automates rate management and back-office operations. The platform enables direct application programming interface connectivity so the entire e-booking process occurs online. When a freight forwarder selects a rate, the e-booking is transmitted to the airline instantly without SAS Cargo having to confirm the booking manually.
- Etihad Cargo, the cargo and logistics arm of Etihad Airways, implemented cargo.one, an e-booking platform. Freight forwarders can now search, compare, and book cargo space on Etihad’s aircrafts in real time and receive immediate booking confirmation. This will help expand the number of origins and destinations that forwarders using the platform can access because of the number of connections the airline offers from Abu Dhabi.
- Small businesses can make informed decisions when choosing the best multimodal shipping option with C.H. Robinson’s Freightquote self-service technology. The web-based, mobile-responsive platform is designed to streamline the shipping process and allow small businesses to book freight without needing any shipping knowledge or expertise. Customers can enter a few details and compare competitive rates from high-quality carriers.
- High-volume shippers can compare shipping rates across multiple carriers, accounts, and services with ShipWorks‘ enhanced Best Rate tool. The tool’s new features allow users to add multiple accounts for each carrier and search them all to see which offers the best rate and time in transit. Users can also uncheck specific services within each carrier to narrow down their results and view only the most relevant services.
- Schneider, a trucking, intermodal, and logistics services provider, launched a tool that enables third-party carriers to instantly book loads. This automation delivers a more efficient experience for third-party carriers by providing real-time rates and reducing time spent finding and securing the right load. Negotiation-free rates further streamline the process by eliminating time-consuming back-and-forth offers between the carrier and broker.
- Airline Lufthansa Cargo expanded its digital sales channels with dynamic spot prices that can be booked immediately. The prices now automatically generate in real time via Lufthansa’s rapid rate response mechanism and are displayed as directly bookable offers. The company uses rapid rate response on all its booking channels and plans to gradually deploy the system worldwide by the end of 2020.
- Ascent Global Logistics upgraded Peak, its technology suite, to increase convenience and supply chain visibility for its truckload agent partners. Peak now gives agents complete control over shipments, allows users to search for carrier capacity, and notifies users when a load has passed the pickup window. This upgrade allows Ascent’s agent network to handle multiple business functions in one web-based solution within an easy-to-use interface.
- Command Alkon, a supplier collaboration platform for construction work, now offers TrackIt 3P, a single telematics platform that extends TrackIt’s workflow management to third-party drivers. The platform manages and tracks third-party trucks and utilizes streamlined digital processes for ticketing, invoicing, and hauler payments. Dispatchers can now manage all company-owned and third-party trucks working for them in the same manner.
- Elemica added new capabilities to its digital supply network and software solutions that help minimize risks and manufacturing disruptions related to the quality of goods during the pre-shipment process. Users can now attach documents relative to a networked outbound purchase order, and invoices can be auto-generated after a shipment occurs from the supplier. Elemica added real-time integration and streaming from Internet-of-Things devices to improve tracking and tracing.
- Retailers can connect, view, and act on disparate data across the supply chain to create a competitive last-mile advantage with ConveyPLUS, Convey’s new delivery experience management platform. The program comprises a network of partners that develop joint solutions to extend the impact of delivery experience management across all last-mile delivery initiatives. ConveyPLUS combines real-time visibility, post-purchase experiences, and advanced analytics to help refine last-mile delivery.
- Maersk revamped its remote container management platform, which features virtual assistant Captain Peter and provides transparency on the refrigerated containers in Maersk and Hamburg Süd’s combined fleet. Captain Peter monitors the container’s temperature, humidity, and carbon dioxide levels, and notifies the shipper if something needs attention. Improving on customer experience, Maersk made its data cloud-based to increase agility and customize the information to each customer’s specific needs.
- Customers can now monitor their reefer container shipments in one online application with Hamburg Süd’s new remote container management technology. The technology monitors the temperature, relative humidity, and concentrations of oxygen and carbon dioxide within each container in real time using an online application accessible via desktop, tablet, or smartphone. If the parameters exceed critical limits, Hamburg Süd’s operations team receives an alert so they can take measures to safeguard the cargo.