The Supply Chain in Brief
- Electronic component maker Phoenix Contact awarded a small parts warehouse automation and expansion project to WITRON Logistik + Informatik GmbH. To help Phoenix meet an increase in pick volume driven by online ordering, WITRON added 10 multifunction ergonomic order-picking workstations (pictured), bringing the warehouse total to 31.
- Ben E. Keith, one the largest foodservice distributors in the United States, extended its partnership with ArrowStream, a foodservice supply chain solutions provider, to boost inbound logistics performance. Using ArrowStream’s Crossbow technology, which provides real-time data intelligence and analytics, Ben E. Keith optimizes transportation costs, boosts service levels, and increases inventory turns.
- To recognize ongoing commitment to environmental sustainability throughout its global network, UPS was named one of GreenBiz Group’s 2018 VERGE Vanguard Award honorees. The VERGE Vanguard Award recognizes companies leading the way to a clean power grid, zero-emissions transportation system, and circular economy.
- To grow its e-commerce and technology solutions for retailers, e-tailers, marketplaces, and platforms, SEKO Logistics acquired its strategic partner Omni-Channel Logistics. The new SEKO Omni-Channel Logistics offers global fulfillment, delivery management, returns logistics, and e-commerce development solutions.
- To add scale and expertise to its telematics and mobile solutions, Descartes Systems Group acquired PinPoint, a provider of fleet tracking and mobile workforce solutions. PinPoint enhances Descartes’ ability to leverage real-time information, allowing its solutions to optimize delivery route planning, GPS tracking, vehicle telematics, and performance analytics.
- GlobalTranz acquired AFN Logistics, a 3PL focused on truckload brokerage. The deal bolsters GlobalTranz’s service portfolio and allows the technology-focused 3PL to leverage data for predictive analysis, machine learning efforts, and blockchain.
- To raise awareness for breast cancer, Werner Enterprises President and Chief Executive Officer Derek Leathers, in collaboration with Daimler Trucks North America, unveiled the company’s second Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure truck. He presented the keys to the 2019 Freightliner Cascadia truck to professional driver and ambassador Shannon Palmer, a breast cancer survivor who plays a vital role in training women student drivers at Werner.
- To support the J.J. Barea Foundation, VARIDESK worked with logistics provider CEVA Logistics to deliver nearly 500 desks and seating to four schools across Puerto Rico recovering from Hurricane Maria, which hit in mid-September 2017. The CEVA Logistics team organized three 40-foot ocean containers loaded with VARIDESK’s donated furniture and then transported them from Dallas, Texas, to Puerto Rico before arranging final-mile delivery to the schools.
- The Container Store, a retailer of storage and organization products, is breaking ground on a 600,000-square-foot distribution center in Aberdeen, Maryland. The company’s supply chain team oversees the DC’s implementation, which includes technology upgrades such as a multi-level pick module, automated sortation, voice-directed picking, and an enhanced warehouse management software suite.
- Canada’s Edmonton International Airport (EIA) and fuel tenant Shell Aviation broke ground on two new, 2-million-liter refueling tanks in EIA’s Cargo Village. The new tanks will be purpose-built for handling air cargo freighters. The facilities will improve turnaround times for freighter flights because they are located closer to the airport.
- J.B. Hunt Transport Services was named a 2019 Military Friendly Employer by VIQTORY, marking the 12th consecutive year the supply chain solutions provider has received the distinction. VIQTORY evaluated institutions for the Military Friendly Employer designation using both public data sources and responses from a proprietary survey.
- The ATA’s Trucking Associations Executive Council recognized long-time trucking advocate Mike Yadon of FedEx Corporation with the J.R. “Bob” Halladay Award. Honored for his contributions to the trucking industry, Yadon has worked for FedEx since 2000, increasing its footprint within all 50 state trucking associations.
- Penske Logistics honored 221 of its truck drivers for outstanding safety milestones at its locations across North America. The company debuted the next phase of its truck driver safety recognition program by naming the first-ever Platinum and Gold classes. There are 39 new members of the first Platinum class (15 consecutive years of safe driving) and 182 new members of the first Gold class (10 consecutive years of safe driving).
UP THE CHAIN
- Christoph Stark joins home furnishings e-tailer Wayfair as head of its North America supply chain. He oversees the end-to-end supply chain, including supplier operations, transportation and home delivery, fulfillment, and supply chain analytics.
- Mary Long was named the new managing director of the Global Supply Chain Institute’s Supply Chain Forum by the University of Tennessee, Knoxville’s Haslam College of Business. Long’s 26-year industry career includes supply chain leadership roles for companies including Campbell’s Soup, General Mills, Quaker Oats/Gatorade, Pillsbury, and Domino’s Pizza.