10 Tips: Optimizing Mobile Devices in Your Supply Chain
Mobile devices are indispensable tools for businesses to stay connected and manage their supply chains—placing them on the front lines of technology transformation. Here are 10 action items to better optimize the use of mobile devices in your supply chain.
1. Streamline workflows to raise productivity. It’s crucial for businesses to enhance workflows. The use of mobile devices can raise productivity by eliminating time-wasting redundancies, and reducing administrative costs, billing errors, and staff time.
2. Scale and integrate seamlessly. An intuitive technology system allows seamless integration by sharing real-time data on mobile devices. The right system enables transparency and streamlines communications that align with business objectives while reinforcing best practices. But proceed carefully here. Many systems do not address a business’s actual day-to-day needs. As a result, choosing the incorrect technology platform can be a costly mistake, leading to greater inefficiencies and poor performance.
3. Manage assets with a robust database. Managers can use mobile devices to access critical data stored on a database housed on an advanced technology platform. Mobile access allows for convenient tracking of assets, maintenance, and allocation.
4. Free up resources by fine-tuning planning. A business can fine-tune its planning processes by eliminating antiquated methods and manual-heavy procedures while simultaneously leveraging mobile technologies. This frees up resources and increases agility by empowering mobile device users to be more proactive and respond quickly to challenges.
5. Improve data collection. Many advanced mobile technology systems improve data collection and information delivery. This promotes transparency and elevates efficiency regardless of location while minimizing disturbances and delays. Real-time data collection and transparency is the backbone of a supply chain. Sharing that information across the organization via mobile devices enables vital connections to partners and customers, allowing the supply chain to function at its full potential.
6. Boost key insights to augment reporting. An innovative technology platform delivers critical insight into a company’s supply chain, offering team members access to key reports, trends, statistics, and real-time data, which allows the organization to make adjustments to enhance efficiency and accuracy.
7. Improve demand visibility. A proven technology platform improves visibility to better anticipate demand, which is necessary to properly plan and create accurate forecasts. A platform with strong mobile device accessibility baked in also makes it easier to source and distribute goods on time and cost-effectively, which provides a positive impact to the bottom line.
8. Incorporate security best practices. Mobile devices are especially prone to security risks; therefore, a technology platform should adhere to security best practices and seamlessly work with and comply to existing security standards.
9. Assess supply chain health proactively. Unpredictable global challenges over the past few years have sent some supply chains into a tailspin, causing uncertainty and ambiguity. Companies can quickly determine the health of their supply chain and how to mitigate risk throughout their operations, including mobile devices, thanks to innovative technology platforms.
10. Anticipate expectations to improve the customer experience. Mobile device optimization utilizing the right software can improve the overall customer experience. An intuitive technology platform allows mobile device users to receive updates and notifications on their mobile devices—enabling them to meet customer expectations.
SOURCE: Tom Martucci, Chief Technology Officer Consolidated, Intermodal Technologies