NOTED | The Supply Chain in Brief-Dec 2018
Tags: Logistics, Technology, Transportation
- DHL Express delivered hundreds of fresh-cut Christmas trees; thousands of handwritten letters; and menorahs, decorations, and gifts to U.S. military personnel stationed abroad as part of its charitable program Operation Holiday Cheer, now in its 15th year. The haul arrived at U.S. bases in Afghanistan, Bahrain, and Kuwait in time for the holidays.
- Transportation provider Leonard’s Express donates one penny per mile for every mile this truck travels, in partnership with the Greater Rochester Parkinson’s Foundation. The truck, which features a decal to create awareness to the disease, will run approximately 125,000 miles per year.
- Volga-Dnepr Airlines delivered generators and a water purification system to Indonesia to support the international humanitarian mission dealing with the aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami that struck Sulawesi Island at the end of September 2018. One Volga-Dnepr Airlines freighter completed the flight from Châlon Vatry Airport in France to the Indonesian city of Balikpapan.
- Werner Enterprises, a transportation and logistics company, was named one of the Top 50 Companies for Women to Work for in Transportation by the Women in Trucking Association. Werner was honored for its support of gender diversity, flexible hours and work requirements, competitive compensation and benefits, and professional development and career advancement opportunities.
- Transportation management provider Transplace named Dayton Freight Lines as its Regional LTL Carrier of the Year. Dayton Freight is recognized for its on-time service, tender acceptance, claims, SmartWay score, customer service, invoicing accuracy, and status updates.
- Logistics provider Schneider was honored with its ninth EPA SmartWay Excellence Award and named to the EPA SmartWay High Performer List. The awards recognize Schneider for being a leader in supply chain environmental performance, energy efficiency, and meeting the challenges of the sustainable goods movement.
- Clothing retailer Brooks Brothers chose a Manhattan Associates solution to improve the omnichannel buying experience for customers across its worldwide network of 300 retail locations. Brooks Brothers selected Manhattan Active Omni, which combines order management and store fulfillment applications on one platform, providing the retailer with visibility into customer information and access to its inventory network.
- Colorado Boxed Beef Co. (CBBC), a distributor of refrigerated and frozen meat, cheese, and other food products, chose Paragon’s route planning software to manage its delivery network. CBBC, which makes approximately 6,000 deliveries per week, uses the software to save time and improve service to customers, including supermarkets, restaurants, military bases, and schools.
- Distributor and retailer Hancocks Wine, Spirit & Beer Merchants selected Logility’s Halo Forecasting and Demand Planning platform to help increase visibility, boost forecast accuracy, and improve service levels through advanced analytics.
- Shovel Ready
- Online home goods and furniture retailer Overstock.com is set to open a 517,000-square-foot distribution center in Kansas City, Kansas. The new warehouse allows Overstock to offer two-day ground shipping to nearly every customer in the contiguous United States. The retailer intends to expand the distribution center’s operations to include returns processing.
- Logistics and supply chain solutions provider Broekman Logistics acquired the VLS-Group’s warehousing activities in Belgium and the Netherlands. With this deal, Broekman Logistics increases its storage space and strengthens its offerings in the warehousing, distribution, and value-added logistics of packed and specialty chemicals in western Europe.
- To expand its capabilities in digital supply chains, Accenture acquired Intrigo Systems, a provider of advisory and systems integration services for SAP enterprise and cloud solutions in supply chain, e-commerce, and procurement. The acquisition strengthens Accenture’s capabilities in delivering end-to-end supply chain transformations that can help shippers gain visibility and make better buying decisions.
- E2open acquired INTTRA, combining its global supply chain and logistics network of more than 200,000 users and 70,000 partner companies with the largest ocean shipping network. With this deal, customers of both companies are expected to gain improved efficiencies and ease of use across their global supply chains.
Up the Chain
- Koen Van Bergen was appointed director of livestock and supply chain by meat producer Vion. Effective January 1, 2019, he will be responsible for developing a demand-driven supply chain and for operational management of the farming department.
- Freight forwarder Panalpina and shipping group CMA CGM signed a sustainability agreement aimed at reducing their respective carbon emissions by 2025. Utilizing newbuild LNG-powered mega-vessels with a 22,000-TEU capacity will help achieve their environmental goals.
- Ryder System, a provider of commercial fleet management, dedicated transportation, and supply chain solutions, received the 2018 Green Fleet Award in the special category from the Sacramento Clean Cities Coalition, a government-industry partnership designed to reduce petroleum consumption in the transportation sector. Ryder was recognized for its efforts to help fleets move to zero-emission vehicles with less risk.